A beautiful collection of Sample Thank You Notes for every occasion
It feels very warm and joyful when someone appreciate what you do and say thank you for doing that. But a lot of people struggles and then go online to search What to write in thank you card / letter / note as what you write in that card shows your gratitude and your feelings. If you are struggling to put your thoughts into wordings, then you have come to the right place. In this post, I am going to share what to write in thank you card in different occasion that will come in handy when you want to send note after receiving a gift, attending a wedding, promotion at your work, you went at someone’s house for dinner or welcome party.
Writing a thank you letter is not about using fancy words or writing down 1000 words of an essay, it can be either short or long but it should reflect your thoughts or inner feelings that how much you appreciate their hospitality. As i have experienced, most of the people struggles in just writing the starting part.
So, before writing a thank you letter; you should know why are you are thanking that person. It can be for a party, shower, promotion etc. If you received multiple gifts from different people, then it is important to make list of the person and what gift they sent so that you can mention them in your thank you letters, thank you notes/ cards.
Tip:Handwritten thank you cards express more as it shows that you sat down and spared your time to write for the person you are writing for.
How to start a Thank You Letter ( Opening Lines )
1. Starting with Greeting the person
Always start your thank you letter / note /card with greeting the person. For formal and informal,
Dear ” Name of the Person ”
For Example: Dear John, Dear Aunty Laura, Dear Father or Mother
Double check that you have spelled the name correctly.
2. Opening lines of the letter should start with Thank You…
Funny thing is people mention everything in their letters but forget to mention the word ” Thank You”. The main purpose is left untouched.
Below are the some examples on how to start your thank you letter:
- I appreciate for….Thank you so much.
- Thank you so much for…
- I am so grateful…
- I am very thankful that….
3. Write down the reason for being thankful
It is essential to mention the reason for being thankful. Tell them how you planning if it’s gift given by them like a photo frame, gift card, music instrument, home decor stuff or even if they send cash, tell them how are going to utilize it. It is the second line of your thank you note. It shows them that how much you have appreciated their gesture.
Below are some example that you can use in writing the second line of your thank you letter:
- Thank you for the lovely picture collage you gave on my going-away party. I am going to miss you a lot.
- Thank you for the flowers you sent on John funeral. White Lily’s were his favorite.
- I am touched beyond words. Thank you so much for helping me with renovation.
- Just wanted to say a big big big Thank you for the gift card to my favorite restaurant. High five rich homie!
- Thank you daddy for the trip money. Now, i can easily buy the best equipment needed for my camping trip.
- I don’t have enough words to write this letter. Thank you for always being my side. I love you.
- Thank you for your hospitality during my visit. I felt like i am the part of the family.
- Thank you for the unforgettable memories.
- Thank you for your help. You mean the world to me.
4. How to end a Thank You Letter ( Closing Statement)
Ending of a thank you letter can be done in one or two sentences as you can mention I am looking forward for next meeting, I am thinking of you etc. It depends on what kind of relation you have with that person. Try not mention a single which are commonly used like looking forward to see you again blah blah. Try be creative and write atleast two line in your thank you note. Use adjectives to describe gifts like perfect, touching, unique, beautiful etc.
Here are some examples you can use to end your thank you card / letter / note:
- Thank you having us for dinner. You are cooking skills are extremely good. I would love if you teach me some things.
- What are great party! You really know how to make good times happen.
- If you ever need someone to talk, please don’t hesitate to call.
- Next time you come in the area, don’t forget to give me a call.
- Thank for making it to my wedding. I appreciate that you left your work to be with me on my special day.
5. Signing the letter / note / card
If you have a very close relationship with the person, then it is best to choose something else than “Yours Sincerely”. You can choose any friendship phrase you guys made up or check out some examples given below
- With love,
- Lots of love,
- Love always,
- Much love to you,
- Love and thanks,
- Warmest thanks,
- Beyond grateful,
- Feeling spoiled,
- With gratitude,
- God bless,
- God bless you,
- Je t’embrasse
6. When to send a thank you card
Try to send thank you notes as quickly as you can. The best time is to send it the next day you received the gift because that way you can truly express yourself and put your thoughts into the words. If you are late, then no need to worry. Start you letter with an brief apology. It is better to send one rather than not sending at all.